Ocimum tenuiflorumSprouts in: 7 - 14 days
Enjoy for: 30 - 90 days
Plant is edible!
Grows best at: 18°C to 30°C (64.4°F to 86°F)
- Holy Basil likes to be cut! You can start trimming your plants approximately one month after planting. You may remove single leaves occasionally... But, for more thriving growth, pinching off the whole tip is recommended - it will grow two new shoots in a week.
- Trimming your plant will also delay flowering and keeps the plant compact and low. Also, the pod will last longer.
- Please note that Holy Basil is an annual plant. It does not last forever. If it has been over twelve weeks and the plant looks aged, it is time to replace the pod.
- Holy Basil aka Tulsi is a sacred plant by the Hindus and is widely used in ayurvedic healing.
- Today, it is mainly used to reduce stress and anxiety, the best effect is achieved by brewed tea.
- Tulsi, not just wards off mosquitoes and insects, but in Hindu mythology, it is also believed to be a ward against evil spirits and ghosts.