Picea abiesSprouts in: 14 - 21 days
Enjoy for: 30 - 120 days
Plant is edible!
Grows best at: 18°C to 30°C (64.4°F to 86°F)
- Spruce grows with zero effort - no debris to clean up!
- If the pods are meant to be transplanted, leave just one plant per pod to grow, so the roots receive minimal damage. If growing Spruce plants just for decoration, leave as many seedlings to grow as you wish.
- A three month old spruce tree is big enough to be replanted outdoors. You may, however, allow it to grow longer and replant it in Spring.
- If you aim to grow tiny trees for the Holidays, plant the pods at least three months in advance.
- Spruce is a popular ornamental tree in horticulture, admired for their evergreen, symmetrical narrow-conic growth habit. For the same reasons, it is also extensively used as a Christmas tree.
- Captain Cook made sugar-based spruce beer during his sea voyages in order to prevent scurvy- a disease resulting from a lack of vitamin C. Yes, young and soft Spruce stems are edible!