Lactuca sativa L. var. longifoliaSprouts in: 7 - 14 days
Enjoy for: 25 - 40 days
Plant is edible!
Grows best at: 18°C to 24°C (64.4°F to 75.2°F)
- Romaine Lettuce is a heat sensitive plant that germinates faster and produces more growth if grown at 64 to 72°F (18 to 22°C). If the temperature is above 75°F (24°C) then germination is inhibited and the plants tend to bolt, causing the flavour to become bitter.
- It is an annual plant and has the best nutritional value 30 to 35 days after the pod is planted. Start using lettuce leaves before it ages and loses its signature flavor.
- We recommend harvesting the whole pod at once, 30 to 35 days after planting.
- Alternatively, you may harvest gradually, starting at around 25 days by picking off the larger outer leaves first. Cut off single leaves gradually by moving towards the heart of the plant until the pod is a maximum of 40 days old.
- Plants older than 40 days will not produce any more yield and there is no reason to transplant lettuce plants.
- Romaine lettuce contains a phytonutrient called lactucarium, which is said to induce sleep, relieve pain and promote relaxation. Could it be your next favorite bedtime snack?