Ocimum basilicumSprouts in: 7 - 14 days
Enjoy for: 30 - 90 days
Plant is edible!
Grows best at: 18°C to 30°C (64.4°F to 86°F)
- Red Basil likes to be cut! You can start trimming your plants approximately one month after planting. You may remove single leaves occasionally... But, for more thriving growth, pinching off the whole tip is recommended - it will grow two new shoots in a week.
- Trimming your plant will also delay flowering and prevents the taste from becoming bitter. It is up to you - if you want to see Red Basil pink flowers, donâ€™t cut your plant anymore. If you would like to keep harvesting the leaves, continue trimming.
- Please note that basil is an annual plant. It does not last forever. If it has been over twelve weeks and the plant looks aged, it is time to replace the pod.
- Red Basil is not just great herb to elevate you dishes, it also has high ornamental value due to its handsome reddish-purple foliage and small pink flowers.
- All basils contain high level of useful antioxidants. But, Red Basil has especially high level phenolic content that does not just give the leaves its genuine deep red color but is also beneficial to your health.