Lactuca sativaSprouts in: 7 - 14 days
Enjoy for: 25 - 40 days
Plant is edible!
Plant is heat sensitive!
Grows best at: 18°C to 24°C (64.4°F to 75.2°F)
- Green Lettuce is a heat sensitive plant that germinates faster and produces more growth if grown at 64 to 72 °F (18 to 22°C). If the temperature is higher than 75°F (24°C) then germination is inhibited and plants tend to bolt, which may cause the flavour to become bitter.
- It is an annual plant and has the best nutritional value 30 to 35 days after the pod has been planted. Start using lettuce leaves before the plant ages and loses its signature flavor.
- We recommend harvesting the whole pod at once, approximately 30 to 35 days after planting.
- You may also harvest gradually, starting approximately 25 days after planting by picking off the larger outer leaves first. Cut off single leaves gradually by moving towards the heart of the plant until the pod is maximum 40 days old.
- Lettuce plants older than 40 days will no longer yield and there is no point transplanting them.
- Did you know that it was Christopher Columbus who introduced lettuce to America during his second voyage?
- Lettuce is an extremely low-calorie food. A cup of raw lettuce contains less than 10 calories.