Beta vulgarisSprouts in: 7 - 14 days
Enjoy for: 30 - 40 days
Plant is edible!
Grows best at: 18°C to 30°C (64.4°F to 86°F)
- You can start harvesting in approximately three weeks by picking off the larger outer leaves - the plant will produce more from its basal growing point. Harvest gradually until the plant is about five weeks old. If you prefer harvesting the whole pod at once, we recommend doing so four weeks after planting.
- Please note! The plant is entirely red and its red juice will stain your skin and clothing - as beet juice usually does.
- Chard is also known as silverbeet, spinach beet, crab beet, seakale beet, mangold, white beet, perpetual spinach, strawberry spinach, Roman kale or bright lights.
- Please note! The plant is entirely red and its red juice will stain your skin and clothing - as beet juice usually does. Or, look at the bright side- it is a natural dye to give your food some color.
- One cup of chopped Swiss chard gives just 35 calories and provides more than 300% of the daily value for vitamin K.